Orientate [was "the religious rite"]

neil neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Wed Oct 25 22:14:23 UTC 2006

I always thought that to orient oneself, to be oriented, or to have an
orientation were UK usages.

Hence to orientate oneself, or to be orientated seemed an unnecessary
elaboration of the original short-form -- the qualification orientated
seeming a back-formation from the noun orientation.

However I discovered to my chagrin that those were not  US imports but a
long-established UK usages.

-