Dawgs

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 26 02:56:11 UTC 2006

I'm familiar with some Appalachian dialect, having gone to school at E Tenn.
State.  I've heard dog with the "ou" diphthong as in "out".  Say "doubt" and
replace "bt" with "g".

Tom Z.

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: Dawgs
>Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 20:32:07 -0400

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Dawgs
>
>I don't see an icon.  But in any case, these two are, as you say, the
>ah/awe variants (the /a ~ O/ forms, as we say in approximate IPA).  The
>third variant is the one we've been talking about--the presumed
>Appalachian/South Midland/"hillbilly" form (if that helps), where you have
>a low or back vowel (it's variable, I agree) gliding upwards and backwards
>to form a kind of diphthong.  If you've never heard this, you won't know
>what we're talking about.  But remember--dictionaries only REPORT what the
>compilers are familiar with; they don't LEGISLATE!       We linguists try
>to describe what we really hear, not what we think we ought to hear (or
>say, or teach).
>
>At 06:24 PM 10/25/2006, you wrote:
> >m-w.com gives two pronunciations of "dog".  Click icon to hear it.
> >
> >Main Entry: 1dog
> >Pronunciation: 'dog, 'däg
> >
> >Again, the awe/ah duplicity. Looks like "awe" is primary.
> >
> >Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL4+
> >See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.
> >

> >>From: Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
> >>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> >>Subject: Re: Dawgs
> >>Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:24:18 -0400
> >>
> >>---------------------- Information from the mail header
> >>-----------------------
> >>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >>Poster:       Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIO.EDU>
> >>Subject:      Re: Dawgs
> >>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >>Yes, that's BE, but it's not Appalachian/Inland Southern--for example,
> >>rural Georgia.  I suggested [daUg] to capture the offglide Matt
>mentioned,
> >>but it's not fully accurate either.  We have it in Athens County/SE Ohio
> >>too, and it's definitely not [dOUg].
> >>
> >>Beverly

> >> --------

>be

>have

> >>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

> >Use your PC to make calls at very low rates
> >https://voiceoam.pcs.v2s.live.com/partnerredirect.aspx

Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more…then map the best
route!  http://local.live.com?FORM=MGA001