Slang poster

Michael H Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Thu Oct 26 07:57:27 UTC 2006

> Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Slang poster
>
> Are the vowels in "slang" and "slant" pronounced the same in m-w.com?
>

> Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL4+
> See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

Although the pronunciation key uses the same symbol for both, in the recording I
hear either a slight diphthongization or a raising in "slang".

This is similar to the [e] for [æ] alternation I heard in North Dakota and
Minnesota.

When I ask my wife to say "wagon" she says [wegən] and when I ask her to
syllabify it she says [wej - gən]. She claims the first vowel is identical to
the vowel in "ray gun." And it's a true rhyme with "Reagan" she offers.

I recently posted the claim:
"[A]pparently before a voiced velar stop or nasal (either [g] or [ŋ]) she raises
/æ/ to /e/. Adding the [i]/[j] diphthongisation is probably just a natural
effect when a coda is lost and the following onset is noticeably suspended."

   Michael Covarrubias
   Purdue University
   mcovarru at purdue.edu
   wishydig.blogspot.com

USA - MI4, OH3, MD3, MI13, ND5, MI3, IN1+