Dawgs

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 26 18:59:13 UTC 2006

That sounds about right, Paul.  Is "tenseness" not factor here ?

  JL

Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Paul Johnston

Subject: Re: Dawgs

Ranges from a raised backwards-c long monophthong (in careful
speech), through a diphthong starting with this vowel and going to
schwa (thus, [O@]), through [o@] to [U@]. V1's are slightly
centralized. I don't have a lengthened V1 in mine, but if I come out
with a monophthongal variant, it's a long one. The stereotype is
probably [U@].

In a pattern that throws Midwesterners, I have this vowel in dog, but
centralized script a (+ or - following schwa) in all other -og words.

Paul Johnston