Dawgs

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 26 21:36:47 UTC 2006

I'm quite sure that Labov treats SAUCE/SOURCE in NYC as a near merger.

Somewhere in my files, I have an old New Yorker article by a NYC cop
with literary aspirations. One anecdote in this article about street
policing deals with the apparent ambiguity of PORN SHOP/PAWN SHOP.

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963