Can some native USA English speakers say "awe" or not

David Bergdahl dlbrgdhl at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 27 09:41:37 UTC 2006

Tom Zurinskas wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>

> > I believe awe-droppers as native born American English speakers can hear
> the
> > sound "awe" and they can say the sound "awe".  They just don't like the
> > sound "awe" nor forming it in their mouths when they talk.  They may
> llive
> > in an area were "awe" is dropped and they don't use it much.

There's no problem in production--people in the area of the merger can hear
the "far/for" difference and can produce "for" which contains the "aw"
vowel; many do--however--tell me that it's a "long o" although to my ears
"foe" and "for" are distinct.
-db