Rumsfeld won't have the guillotine "float down"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Oct 27 14:06:57 UTC 2006

Did Donald Rumsfeld really say in his press conference yesterday
(Oct. 26), after commenting that he would not impose deadlines on
Iraq, something like "would you have the guillotine *float down* on
them"?  Either I missed a clever, subtle metaphor for imposing
deadlines slowly (unlikely from Rumsfeld?), or this image is
(another?) indication of his disconnect from reality.

I could not find a transcript on-line ... but Rumsfeld is associated
with the guillotine in "about 35,800" web pages.  Is it a symbol he
has used before?

Joel