"Neanderthal/ ~tal"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 27 18:35:04 UTC 2006

As opposed to the IPA, the truespel phonetic method spells the sounds of
English (presently USA English only) in an English friendly way using
letters only, no special symbols.   English literacy needs help.  "Phonemic
awareness" is the key to initial reading success (Jankiewicz).  What's
needed is a simple method that kids can use initially to read and write
easily and remains as their dictionary key.
The intent is to  integrate the dictionary key with initial phonetic reading
methods and eventually translation guides.  IPA, SAMPA, SIL were not
designed for this.

The truespel database is available to those interested in its development or
use in phonetic analyses such as in truespel books 1 and 4.

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: "Neanderthal/ ~tal"
>Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:30:48 -0400

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>
>Subject:      Re: "Neanderthal/ ~tal"
>
> >Thanks for using all those phonemic  symbols, Doug. Some of 'em are
> >actually the same as IPA !
>
>In case someone takes this seriously, this is ASCII IPA, which has been
>around for some time. I find it good. Some regulars on this list and others
>elsewhere don't like non-ASCII characters.
>
>http://www.let.rug.nl/~kleiweg/ascii-ipa/
>
>I don't strictly distinguish phonetic transcriptions from phonemic except
>when forced to.
>
>-- Doug Wilson
>

>--

Get today's hot entertainment gossip