Can some native USA English speakers say "awe" or not

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Oct 27 18:41:20 UTC 2006

Glossing Flastaff's ". . . let not us that are squires of the night's body be call'd thieves of the day's beauty" (1 Henry IV, 2. 24-25), Shakespeare scholars have posited a four-way play on the words "body," "bawdy," "beauty," and "booty" (in the old sense!).  Of course, wordplay doesn't necessarily entail perfect homophony.

--Charlie