slang/slant

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 28 19:09:57 UTC 2006

>What does this "test" other than the pronunciation of whoever
>happened to be used to record those words by m-w.com?
>
>LH

True.  I've got no problem with that.  So you're saying that the m-w.com
pronunciation doesn't sound right to you?  Sounds right to me.

Perhaps the person that wrote the phonetic description is describing an
uncommon dialect.

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: slang/slant
>
>At 3:43 PM +0000 10/28/06, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
> >For "slang" you say "sl&N?"  Strange notation.
> >
> >M-w.com foespelz (phonetically/phonemically spells) "fun" as "f&n", so in
> >that notation you would be saying "slung" for "slang".  No one says that.
>
>If you checked out the earlier posts (just yesterday, I believe)
>about the ASCII representation of IPA, you'd have seen that & is used
>in that system not for a schwa (or "caret") but for the low front
>vowel for which the IPA symbol is the digraph corresponding to [ae].
>Lots of ones say that for "slang", or at least something closer to
>the lax vowel of "slant" than the tense vowel of "saint", including
>many northeasterners like me.
>
> >But you don't seem to be takingt his seriously ("the hell with it").
>I've
> >focused on it to get it right because of my phoneme analysis books.
> >
> >These things can be tested.  One can play the m-w.com spoken words for
> >"dangle, danger, dants"  which one has the different "a" vowel sound.  I
> >hear "dance" with a short vowel and the others with a long vowel. Thus
>the
> >notation for "dangle" should be long a.
>
>What does this "test" other than the pronunciation of whoever
>happened to be used to record those words by m-w.com?
>
>LH

Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with
Live Search!
http://imagine-windowslive.com/search/kits/default.aspx?kit=improve&locale=en-US&source=hmtagline