native USA English speakers say "awe" > Supremes

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 31 04:41:06 UTC 2006

Fritz, I've just returned from a trip to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, where
I drank a bottle or three of Yuengling in your honor. Prost!

Now, if we can just figure out how "(anti-)Semitic" came to be
pronounced as "(anti-)Semetic," even among the (pro-}Semitic.

BTW, the Czech friend who was unable to hear any distinction between
the vowel of "whipping" and that of "weeping" was named "Jiri," in
which  "r" represents the           (in)famous Czech  _r-haczek_.
After what must have been thousands of repetiitions, I wasn't able to
reproduce this sound. In fact, I couldn't even picture in my mind what
I was supposed to do with my tongue, vocal cords, and breath.

-Wilson