[Fwd: ads visuals archive? (was: jesse in the news)]

Terry Irons t.irons at MOREHEADSTATE.EDU
Tue Oct 31 16:16:00 UTC 2006

Forward from Dennis Baron:

I've been sending this message for several days but it hasn't gotten
through to the list for some reason. Terry's trying to figure out
what is happening.

And most of all thanks, Jesse, for running the NYer Lorenz cartoon in
your Slate column on literally. I have long since lost my copy of
that cartoon, which I had clipped from the magazine back in 1977 and
used photocopies of often in class to discuss the literal paradox (as
well as citing the caption as the epigraph to my own 1988 chapter on
literally in Declining Grammar -- I couldn't run the cartoon because
I couldn't find a usable copy in those pre-web days, and it would
probably have cost too much in permission fees), and which I have now
re-added to my teaching materials collection (under the fair use
provision of the copyright act, of course).

BTW if anybody else has good language cartoons for class, or other
visuals, as I suspect many of us do, it might be nice to gather and
share them in some fashion.

Allan, what about an ads committee to put together a visual materials
collection on the web? For example,  now that I teach in classrooms
where I can quickly hook my laptop to a built-in classroom projector,
I do regular "language in the news" segments, showing language-
related newspaper stories in class (we got a lot of mileage out of
Bogota NJ and the Philly cheese steak controversy in September), and
show lots of pictures to illustrate the various topics we discuss.
My guess is that many of us who teach language courses would love to
have this sort of centralized resource or clearinghouse that we could
draw from and contribute to.

I myself have a bunch of cartoons that I've recently digitized to
show in class (on the internet, nobody knows you're a dog), and I'm
always looking for more -- I've also made census map jpegs (from the
MLA language map and the census website itself), the NASA plaque
(NASA's got a lot of material on that in its web archive, including
sounds from the record that also went out into space), a montage
video that I created using iMovie and a screen capture program, from
TV reports of the star-spangled banner in spanish controversy and
Stephen Colbert's "word" segment on "English," a quicktime of the
meatballs english-only campaign commercial, another of Bush watching
a reading lesson in Florida the morning of 9/11 (the real amateur
video, not the one Michael Moore showed snatches of),  some phonetics
x-ray movies I found on the upenn linguistics website, and probably
some other visuals and videos I'm not thinking of as I write this.

Anybody else think this is a useful idea?

Dennis

On Oct 28, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

-------

At 10/28/2006 08:50 AM, Jesse wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 08:13:06AM -0400, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>> Jesse has another 15 minutes of fame - literally  :-)
>>
>> "Harvard Crimson says writer lifted material"
>> by Sarah Schweitzer
>
> There was also an article and an editorial in the Harvard
> Crimson.

For that I'll allow you another 15 minutes :-)

Joel

Virtually, Terry
Terry Lynn Irons        t.irons at morehead-st.edu
Voice Mail:             (606) 783-5164
Snail Mail:             UPO 604 Morehead, KY 40351