"scurred"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 1 14:24:06 UTC 2006

You find this same phenomenon in the speech of the Saint Louis rapper,
Nelly. I've also heard, e.g. "hurr" used for "hair" ("I fix people
hurr") by speakers of Saint Louis - or "Nellyville" - BE.

BTW, Mircea, ce mai faceti?

Professor Iliescu's teaching assistant, Tudor Ionescu, once complained
that, "In Romania, when we ask someone that, we really want to know!"
This was back in 1972, so I can't recall whether a name like yours has
a special vocative-case form.

-Wilson

On 8/31/06, Mircea Sauciuc <msauciuc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Mircea Sauciuc <msauciuc at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "scurred"
>
> i recently just came from the st. louis area and this was very common
> variation of "scared" there. as you've probably heard, the rapper
> *chingy* had a song "right thur(r?)", a varient for "right there."
>
> at any rate, the origin from what i've heard, is that st. louis
> region. having gone home to visit family in chicago, i heard it said
> there as well, but it was sparse and seemed more forced because of the
> chingy song.
>
> -mcs
>
> Mircea C. Sauciuc
> University of Kansas
> Department of Linguistics
>
> On 8/31/06, Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at hotmail.com> wrote:

-Wilson
----
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens