Allow meaning 'provide the ability to'

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Sep 1 14:17:02 UTC 2006

Geoff,

The sense you were looking for was there -- just a bit obscured by
our cross-referencing conventions, I'm afraid.  Sense 5a in the
Collegiate, "PERMIT," is a synonymous cross-reference (indicated
by the small-caps type font); what it tells you is that all the senses
at "permit" apply. If you turn to that entry, you will see that the
sense you used is covered under sense 3 "to make possible."

Hope this helps.  Tell your prescriptivist interlocutor that s/he is
correct, and so are you.

Joanne