purpose of WOTY contests

Michael Adams madams1448 at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 3 00:31:39 UTC 2006

 Thanks, Fred! Cromwell's version of his quotation is so much more eloquent. Perhaps I can remember it better from now on, though that remnant of childhood learning survived pretty well, after all.
 -----Original Message-----
 From: fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 8:12 PM
 Subject: Re: purpose of WOTY contests

  On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Michael Adams wrote:

 > (Believe it, in the bowels of Christ I may have misremembered Cromwell
 > -- perhaps Fred has a more accurate quotation.)

 I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be
 mistaken.
 Oliver Cromwell, Letter to General Assembly of Kirk of Scotland, 3
 August 1650

 Fred Shapiro

 Fred R. Shapiro Editor
 Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
 Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
 Yale Law School forthcoming
 e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com