Idiom "sweat bullets"-----influence of German?

Sally Donlon sod at LOUISIANA.EDU
Sun Sep 3 14:08:11 UTC 2006

I grew up familiar with both meanings, and what struck me as a child
was the physicality of both instantiations.  When you work very hard,
you sweat ("He's out there mowing the lawn and sweating bullets.").
When you're nervous or frightened, you sweat ("I was so nervous, I
was sweating bullets.").

My mental representation of a sweat bullet was a very large drop of
sweat, a sort of exaggerated saline droplet. To my mind -- growing
up, as I did, in a place where high school homecoming must be
scheduled around the opening of deer season -- enlarged drops (of
sweat) mapped neatly onto the physical shape of bullets.

sally o donlon