hayneous

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 5 01:36:37 UTC 2006

Back in the day, I used "haynious" and "misCHEEvious." I unlearned
them in high school. However, a couple of other pronunciations that I
learned in high school, "Jenghis (not only pronounced with a "j," but
also sometimes spelled with one, in those days) Khan" and "Da-RYE-us,"
for Darius, king of Persia, seem to be on the way out, in these days.

-Wilson

On 9/4/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      hayneous
>
> Lt. Gen. Tom McInerny (ret.) in Fox News says "hayneous" for "heinous."  More than 10,000 raw Googlits for the spelling "heinious."  And almost 30 for "hayneous."
>
>   Cf. "mischievious."
>
>   JL

> http://mail.yahoo.com

-Wilson
----
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens