Eggcorn: "undo"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Sep 6 13:28:50 UTC 2006

I don't find this at the "Eggcorn" web site, though I have seen a scattering of instances in student essays for several years.

In yesterday's Athens [GA] Banner-Herald, an article about knee pain (by a physician) included the phrase "undo stress placed on the joint."

In Southern speech, traditionally, "due" and "do" are not homophones: /dju/ vs. /du/.  However, I no longer expect to hear many features of Southern dialects from my students at the University of Georgia, most of whom, hailing from the upscale suburbs of Atlanta, are first- or second-generation immigrants from points North.

--Charlie