Google to Offer Deep-Web Searches

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Sep 6 14:21:32 UTC 2006

I just tried "Bampfylde-Moore Carew", and did get access to a Des
Moines Daily Leader article from 1902 and an Atlanta Constitution
article from 1887.  Are some newspapers accessible via
newspaperarchive.com without subscription?

On the other hand, observe the quality of the scanning from the Daily
Leader:  I feel lucky I found Carew!  (Viz.: "a hit of the story"!)

Life as it existed in the American colonies in 1650 is re- flected in
a somewhat novel light. The later Puritans and certain phases of
early -life in Virginia have been treated without fear or favor, and
will likely etir up spirited discussion- unless the eweet and noble
temper of the story entirely absorbs the auditor. -At the risk of
incurring the displeas- ure of the author (although I will keep-
faiiluin not telling his name) I cannot refrain from divulging a hit
of the story in its stage form. The prologue "is laid in England in
that lull in the .tihcjek of-steel coat and leather jerkin, Avhen
Cromwell was. Lord Protector England and royalists were agitating
cause of the second Charles. It was: In this troubled soil that the
love of Bampfylde Moore CAREW, grandson cf a churlish roundhead, was
shown for Lady St. Aubyn, granddaughter of Llpr'd Penruddock. A
bitter -political enmity existed between the grand- fathers.

(And of course this is not my B-M Carew, who was born in 1724.  The
Atlanta Constitution item is--although it describes a bastardized
later edition, full of inventions of later authors.)

Joel