all of the sudden, one at the time, still in the bed

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 7 08:45:07 UTC 2006

Re:  'in bed' vs. 'in the bed'

  How does this differ from Americans saying, "He was released from the hospital" and the British saying "He was released from hospital"?

  Margaret Lee

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
  FWIW, I have no trouble with "still in the bed" and "a _pair_ of
scissors / pliers / shears," etc. "All of the sudden" and "one at the
time" are ungrammatical. "A scissors" is kinda okay because I've
become accustomed to hearing and reading it, though I would never use
it myself.

-Wilson

On 9/6/06, Laurence Horn wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: all of the sudden, one at the time, still in the bed
>
> At 11:41 AM -0700 9/6/06, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
> >>--and no
> >>doubt very much like the effect of my "stand on line" to many non-New
> >>Yorkers.
> >
> >yes, you get that "Martian! Martian!" look.
> >
> >my pennsylvania-dutchism "a scissors" provokes a similar response.
> >
> Really? I'm surprised--I'm sure I've encountered "a scissors" all my
> life, I assume because it's so much more natural and economical than
> "a pair of scissors" (although that can't be the whole story, since I
> don't recall encountering "a pants"), while "stand on line" (vs. in
> line) or "all of the sudden" (vs. a sudden) involve a totally
> arbitrary choice as far as I can tell; at least the regionally
> restricted forms don't appear to be more logical than the more widely
> distributed variants in those cases.
>
> LH

-Wilson
----
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens