"no such thing as (a) free lunch" (1943)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 10 22:31:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Sam Clements wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, I think the earliest published to the ADS-L is 1949.
>
> Using N'archive, from 2 Sept. 1943, _Long Beach Independent_ p.11 (A
> letter to the editor)

I believe the forthcoming Yale Book of Quotations has this back to 1942.
There is also indirect evidence for a possible 1938 usage.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS