"croissant" as a zero plural

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Mon Sep 11 17:51:09 UTC 2006

Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
>> I would guess that plural "croissant" is merely a quasi-Gallic
>> pronunciation spelling for "croissants", since the final -s isn't
>> pronounced in French. Are there other examples of unpronounced French
>> -s being rendered as zero pluralization in written English?
>
> this is what bill poser himself has now suggested (in e-mail), and i
> asked that same question in response:  "so you're borrowing the
> french phonology, but not the french spelling; instead, you're
> adapting the english spelling to your english pronunciation.  any
> other examples of this?"

Very naively, I'd have guessed something along these lines, too. A
little searching turns up similar zero-plurals for _baguette_, _hors
d'oeuvre_ (frankly, it's an achievement to get the spelling
approximately right, nevermind the plural), _idee fixe_ and _enfant
terrible_. In all cases of noun compounds, the question of where to
attach the plural S is by no means trivial anyway, even for native
speakers of French. Nothing for _aperitif_ (with its last letter that's
pronounced), and _femme fatale_ is too often apprehended in the
singular, or as the title of something. In _baguette_ there may be an
influence from the mass noun _bread_.

====
Hors d'oeuvre are much the same as appetizers insomuch as they are small
and savory dishes, but are generally served as a selection with wine or
cocktails away from the dinner table, either somewhat before a dinner,
or often as the only foods served at an afternoon party that does not
include dinner. Hors d'oeuvre are more related to the Spanish Tapas than
to traditional formal dining procedures. The appetizers here also make
excellent hors d'oeuvre or Tapas.
http://www.premiersystems.com/recipes/appetizers/index.html
====
THEY MAY BE small - no more than a bite or two, in most cases - but hors
d'oeuvre are big news for special events.
http://specialevents.com/caterers/events_hot_hors_doeuvre/
====
I live in Marseilles and baguette are considered as much a part of
Parisian everyday life as the Eiffel Tower. Notwithstanding, at six
o'clock in the morning, at noon, at four PM - you cant help seeing
people carrying baguettes fresh from bakeries, many tearing a piece off
and eating as they rush to their meals, many biting right from the tow
foot long crusty loafs.
[note the variation; either this is inconsistent, or suggests some
difference, influence of the mass noun etc.]
http://frenchcuisine.lifetips.com/faq/117775/0/whate-is-baguette/index.html
====
The baguette are very cheap (200 XPF), and incredibly good.
http://www.world66.com/australiaandpacific/frenchpolynesia/moorea
====
The great European composers Hindemith, Dvorak and Schoenberg were the
enfant terrible of their time.
http://www.riversideparramatta.com.au/content/files/84/Winter05.pdf.
====
Pole Beans are the "enfant terrible" of the vegetable garden. Gorgeous
flowers, excellent climber and fence covering, good fruit to eat but
they simply can't get along with each other.
http://www.simplegiftsfarm.com/vegetablegardeningguide.html
====
Any indication that either of these two idee fixe are questioned,
limited, or wrong sends them off into a foaming-at-the-mouth hissy fit
-- in an understated British kind of way.
http://www.eurotrib.com/story/2006/2/11/12336/1731#19
====

Chris Waigl