"battle of/ war between the sexes"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 13 17:53:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Fred Shapiro wrote:

> A misapprehension that seems to have some currency on this list is that
> the Yale Book of Quotations is a dictionary of phrases.  It is not; it is
> a dictionary of quotations, with some phrases creeping in because they

I should add that I do have some coverage of slogans, catchprases, and
what I call "sayings," although this is limited to the more important
examples of each of these categories and for some of the categories I pay
less attention to origins than I do for quotations and proverbs.  Even for
the categories to which I am less attentive, however, I think I give more
information than is in other quotation dictionaries.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS