"experiential" query

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 14 02:17:42 UTC 2006

At 9:55 PM -0400 9/13/06, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
>>But is this word a natural part of the vocabulary of people other than a
>>very limited portion of the education establishment?
>
>I doubt I've ever used it. But I recognize it. A lot of words I don't.
>
>-- Doug Wilson

A quick Spotlight search through my hard disk turned up a reference
to the "Sojourn Nepal Experiential Education" program my son
participated in several years ago (it was only ever called "Sojourn
Nepal" so I hadn't recalled the official name), one in a linguistics
paper to "the cognitive grounding of speech acts in experiential
gestalts", a contrast in another paper between the "experiential
aspect" (marked by -guo in Mandarin) as opposed to the "perfective
aspect" (marked by -li), a reference in yet another paper to "free
association due to experiential norms" rather than to semantic
relatedness, e.g. "peanut butter" priming "jelly", and a couple of
others along the same lines.  I don't think it's all that exotic.

LH