"experiential" query

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 14 12:14:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:

>   Today a senior colleague pointed to a sign on a campus van which said:
> "Student Design & Experiential Learning Center" and asked if I ever
> heard "experiential" before.  I hadn't, and neither had he.  The word is
> based on "experience" and refers to learning by doing.

There are 13,500,000 hits in Google.  There are 2775 hits on Nexis just
since Feb. 1, 2006.  Skimming some of the Nexis hits, it appears that most
of them are not in the realm of education.  Basically, "experiential" is
the adjective pertaining to "experience" and is a fairly common word.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS