FYI: Ken Jennings responds about "Early Show" mistakes (9-13-06)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 15 04:59:31 UTC 2006

FYI, Ken Jennings (not CBS, of course) replied.
_http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboards/viewtopic.php?t=368_
(http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboards/viewtopic.php?t=368)

    Early Show wrong on "Big Apple"  &"Windy C  Author Message  Barrypopik

Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Location: New  York City

 (http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboards/posting.php?mode=quote&p=5144)
 (http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboards/viewtopic.php?p=5144#5144) Early
Show wrong on "Big Apple" &"Windy C
My name is Barry Popik, and I solved the origins of  both "the Big Apple"
(New York City's nickname) and "the Windy City"  (Chicago's nickname). My name is
mentioned on page 166 of BRAINIAC. (See  _www.barrypopik.com,_
(http://www.barrypopik.com,/)  or the Wikipedia pages for both  terms.)

I have written to CBS to correct matters, but I find that  television never
corrects itself.

I have never been on  tv.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:23 am
(http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboards/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=819)
(http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboards/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=819)  (http://www.barrypopik.com/)     Ken  Jennings
Site Admin
Joined: 14 Jun 2006

 (http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboards/posting.php?mode=quote&p=5150)
 (http://www.ken-jennings.com/messageboards/viewtopic.php?p=5150#5150)
Shocker!

Just kidding Barry. I was thinking  about you when there were two consecutive
wrong etymology answers about  your life's work during one single The Early
Show segment. Thanks for  posting!

(PRIOR POST)

(SENT TO CBS, NOT THAT IT WILL MATTER)

To Public Eye:
On your September 13th Early Show with guest Ken Jennings, the origins  of
both "the Big Apple" and later "the Windy City" were wrong. I am mentioned by
name in Ken Jennings' book, and I dedicated "Big Apple Corner" in New York
City.  I am also mentioned on both the "Big Apple" and "Windy City" Wikipedia
pages. I have never been on tv.
I would appreciate it if you would issue corrections.
Barry Popik
_www.barrypopik.com_ (http://www.barrypopik.com/)
225 East 57th Street, Apt. 7P
New York, NY 10022
(212) 308-2635
_http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/13/earlyshow/leisure/books/main2003236
.shtml_
(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/13/earlyshow/leisure/books/main2003236.shtml)
Ken Jennings: Trivia Not Trivial
'Jeopardy!' Mega-Champ Out With Book Called  'Brainiac'

NEW YORK, Sept.  13, 2006
(...)
Even The Early Show

weatherman and features reporter Dave  Price got in on the act, challenging
Jennings to question him on weather  trivia. Jennings asked how Chicago got its
nickname, "The Windy City," and Price  knew the correct answer has nothing to
do with weather. Rather, the term refers  to politics — as in long-winded
politicians!

To watch the Jennings  interview, _click  here_ (javascript:void(0);) .

_http://ken-jennings.com/blog/?p=164_ (http://ken-jennings.com/blog/?p=164)

September 13, 2006

_Pulling rank_ (http://ken-jennings.com/blog/?p=164)

I have a few minutes of downtime between phone interviews this afternoon, and
 my index finger is getting tired from repeatedly hiitting “Refresh” on my
_Amazon.com ranking_ (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400064457) , so I
thought I’d take a time out to  blog.
(I’m joking, a little, about the Amazon ranking obsession, but I did assume
that publishers, at least, had some instantaneous, Space Age way to monitor
book  sales. Instead my publicist was getting voice mails all morning as the
Amazon  ranking climbed. Well, descended. You know what I mean. Went the right
way.  Authors, they’re hitting Refresh just like we are!)
Did the CBS Early Show this morning, followed by a bunch of beloved  NYC
radio insitutions (_Leonard  Lopate_ (http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/) , _Joan
Hamburg_ (http://www.wor710.com/pages/39665.php) , etc.) Lots of fun talking
about the book in more depth. Two  notes if you saw the Early Show interview:
    1.  I forgot to ask Harry Smith to give me his avocado trivia! But I
assume he  means the great “testicle” factoid I found _here_
(http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/food_and_drink/features/article226063.ece) . (If you have a
Great Testicle Factoid of your  own, I encourage you to see a urologist.)
    2.  I didn’t have the heart to tell him, but trash-talkin’ weatherman
Dave  Price was actually wrong about the origins of the phrase “the Windy City”
! See  page 166 of Brainiac.