"Texas Gold" tea; Wikipedia really sucks

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 15 17:00:56 UTC 2006

TEXAS GOLD (tea)
There appears to be a "Texas Gold" tea (it was served at a teahouse in Kyle), but I'm having a little trouble determining if "Texas Gold" is a brand name or a variety of tea. Any help appreciated.
WIKIPEDIA REALLY SUCKS
I'm back from Texas and I decided to look at the Wikipedia "Big Apple" entry again. As usual, it changed. For one thing, the photo of the apple is gone.
Some Wiki user named "Peter Salwen" appears to have put a "Big Apple" link to Peter Salwen's website above all else.
Remember that useless 1940s "Swing Street" information that has nothing to do with "the Big Apple" (cited from the 1920s)? Remember when we took it off? The same wiki user appears to have put the same useless information at the bottom of the entry.
A link to the scholarly site "Indonesia Destinations" has been added. Why this site? Well, it gives the Peter Salwen "whore theory" THAT EVEN SALWEN HAS LONG SINCE REMOVED FROM THE WEB!
Really, I should have killed myself years ago. I realize that I must accept no money, no awards, and constant pain my whole life. Wonderful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Apple
Big Apple
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Big Apple (disambiguation)
The "Big Apple" is a nickname or alternate toponym for New York City and Buenos Aires, Argentina. Its popularity since the 1970s is due to a promotional campaign by the New York Convention and Visitor's Bureau. Its earlier origins are less clear.
One explanation cited by the New-York Historical Society and others is that it was first popularized by John Fitzgerald, who first used it in his horse racing column in the New York Morning Telegraph in 1921, then further explaining its origins in his February 18, 1924 column. Fitzgerald credited African-American stable-hands working at horseracing tracks in New Orleans:
The Big Apple. The dream of every lad that ever threw a leg over a thoroughbred and the goal of all horsemen. There's only one Big Apple. That's New York.
Two dusky stable hands were leading a pair of thoroughbred around the "cooling rings" of adjoining stables at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans and engaging in desultory conversation.
"Where y'all goin' from here?" queried one.
"From here we're headin' for The Big Apple", proudly replied the other.
"Well, you'd better fatten up them skinners or all you'll get from the apple will be the core", was the quick rejoinder.

In the 1920s the New York race tracks were the cream of the crop, so going to the New York races was a big treat, the prize, allegorically a Big Apple.
In 1997, as part of an official designation of "Big Apple Corner" in Manhattan, former Mayor Rudy Giuliani summarizes the rest of the story:
A decade later many jazz musicians began calling the City "The Big Apple" to refer to New York City (especially Harlem) as the jazz capital of the world. Soon the nickname became synonymous with New York City and its cultural diversity. In the early 1970s the name played an important role in reviving New York's tourist economy through a campaign led by the New York Convention and Visitors Bureau. Today the nickname "The Big Apple," which replaced "Fun City," is the international description of the city and is synonymous with the cultural and tourist attractions of New York City.
Therefore, it is only fitting that the southwest corner of West 54th Street and Broadway, the corner on which John J. Fitz Gerald resided from 1934 to 1963, be designated "Big Apple Corner".
According to PBS's Broadway: The American Musical miniseries, Walter Winchell used the term "Big Apple" to refer to the New York cultural scene, especially Harlem and Broadway, helping to spread the use of this nickname.
A documented earlier use comes from the 1909 book The Wayfarer in New York by Edward S. Martin. He wrote (regarding New York) that the rest of the United States "inclines to think the big apple gets a disproportionate share of the national sap."[1] Etymologists have been unable to trace any influence that this use had on the nickname's popularity.
Swing Musician Harry Gibson remembers in his autobiography that the phrase was used in the 1940's specifically in regard to Swing Street, which was a nickname for 52nd Street west of Broadway. If this is true, then Giuliani, in the above dedication ceremony, missed it by two blocks.
[edit]References
^ Mayor, Bruni. "Big Apple in 1909." New York Times (1990):
[edit]External links
Why Is New York City Called the Big Apple?
Giuliani creates Big Apple Corner from the February 1997 Archives of the Mayor's Press Office
The Big Apple Big Apple Timeline from amateur etymologist Barry Popik
Straight Dope article about the subject, with follow-on
FAQ on the subject from the New York Public Library website
Q&A including the subject from the New-York Historical Society website
The link between the Banda Islands and the Big Apple (Indonesia Destinations) August 31, 2006