"will have" = "undoubtedly did"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 15 20:06:48 UTC 2006

My memory is somewhat uncertain, but wasn't it once upon a time the
fashion for academics writing historically to write: "... Lampito ...
_would have_ worn 'Doric' garments ...," in cases like this?

-Wilson

On 9/15/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      "will have" = "undoubtedly did"
>
> OK, when did the Brits start doing this ?  Ex.:
>
>   2002 Alan H. Sommerstein _Lysistrata and Other Plays_ (N.Y.: Penguin, 2002) xxxv:
>   In _Lysisitrata_, Lampito and her Pelopponesian companions will have worn 'Doric' garments, which were considerably more revealing.
>
>   It seems to be a development of OED 32.b mingled with 15.d and strikes me as being quite recent - as well as being very frequent.
>
>   JL

>  Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail.

-Wilson
----
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens