more on university names on Language Log

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 15 20:36:56 UTC 2006

Better and better, to use what I think of as a Briticism, even though
the only person that I ever heard use it in real life was my St.
Louis-born stepfather. I had in mind only U.S. usage.

BTW, I heard an Englishman on TV refer to himself as standing out in
the U.S. because of his speaking "with an English accent." Many years
ago, Jacques Barzun, discussing cultural imperialism, wrote that only
Americans had the gall to speak of the English as speaking English
with an English accent. It would never occur to a Canadien to describe
a Frenchman as speaking French with a French accent.

-Wilson

On 9/13/06, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: more on university names on Language Log
>
> On Sep 13, 2006, at 6:26 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>
> > One more. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that "University of Oxford
> > / Cambridge" is replacing the "Oxford / Cambridge University" of my
> > youth.
>
> one correspondent, in Cambridge, has suggested that Cambridge
> University is moving this way, although CU is entrenched in several
> places, for example names of sports teams, even the Cambridge
> University Netball Team.
>
> i don't know that these impressions are reliable, though.  finding
> out would not be easy.
>
> arnold

-Wilson
----
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens