[ADS-L] "anniversary": losing the 'year' connection

Sun Sep 17 09:06:05 UTC 2006

I suspect that, if you look in the available literature for Alcoholics
Anonymous and other 12-step groups, you will find that this usage goes back to at
least the 1070s in the sense 'days/months/years since one's last drink/cocaine
use/etc." So one will say, "30-day anniversary," "3-months anniversary," etc.
See online archives of the journal THE GRAPEVINE. I haven't checked this
myself, but I have heard this usage. It is not a romantic context.