query--("next to nobody")

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sun Sep 17 20:32:08 UTC 2006

No, it was actually the first line of a newspaper article in the local
rag--something like "Next to nobody would deny that . . ." (I don't have
the nsp at hand).  The more I think about it, the more familiar it becomes;
I may have heard it, and used it, myself in the distant past.  But it's
been a long time ago, if so, which is why it struck me as strange.