"like," intrans.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 19 13:22:15 UTC 2006

A new Macy's commercial stars "Stacy London, Fashion Expert."  You know she's a fashion expert by the way she swings her hips as she marches toward the camera; an orchestra plays runway music.  (Stacy's Wikipedia bio says she has a philosophy degree from Vassar.)

  When Stacy sees ladies wearing Macy's fashions, she exclaims,

  "Oooooooh !  I like !"

  I can recall maybe forty years ago show-biz types on TV occasionally asked. "You like ?"  The idea seemed to be they were mimicking street vendors in foreign lands, or maybe such vendors as played by the late J. Carroll Naish.

  The last time I heard "You like ?" was in the excellent Philip Seymour Hoffman flick, _Owning Mahowny_ (2003) when Hoffman's rich bookie asks him what he thinks of his (the bookie's) new car.

  JL