"like," intrans.

Tue Sep 19 13:38:50 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> A new Macy's commercial stars "Stacy London, Fashion Expert."
[...]
>   When Stacy sees ladies wearing Macy's fashions, she exclaims,
>
>   "Oooooooh !  I like !"
>
>  I can recall maybe forty years ago show-biz types on TV occasionally asked.
> "You like ?"  The idea seemed to be they were mimicking street vendors in
> foreign lands, or maybe such vendors as played by the late J. Carroll Naish.

Not to mention Bloody Mary in "South Pacific": "You like? You buy?"

>   The last time I heard "You like ?" was in the excellent Philip Seymour
> Hoffman flick, _Owning Mahowny_ (2003) when Hoffman's rich bookie asks
> him what he thinks of his (the bookie's) new car.

"I like" seems pretty common these days -- often repeated for
emphasis. See the many hits for "I like, I like" on Myspace:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:myspace.com+%22i+like+i+like%22

And then there are the mock-Chinese variants, "I likey" and "me
likey", both well-attested on the Web in both transitive and
intransitive uses.

--Ben Zimmer