"like," intrans.

Tue Sep 19 18:37:34 UTC 2006

On Sep 19, 2006, at 11:23 AM, David Sutcliffe wrote:

>  What about the invitation to "Enjoy!". I first noted Americans
> using this about
> 10 years ago, and I had the impression it was urban and or Jewish
> in feel.

i've heard it for fifty years, usually in a jewish context.  here's
the OED:

DRAFT ADDITIONS JUNE 2003

     enjoy, v.

  [In later use, prob. after dialectal Yiddish genist.] In imper.,
with ellipsis of object: take pleasure in the thing (freq. food or
drink) being presented.

1876 H. JAMES Roderick Hudson ix, Don't mind the pain, and it will
cease to trouble you. Enjoy, enjoy; it is your duty. 1959 H. GOLDEN
For 2¢ Plain II. 92 When my mother served our meals..she would always
say, ‘Enjoy, enjoy’... The word ‘enjoy’ was seldom used by itself. It
was always repeated. 1964 Prevention July in L. M. Feinsilver Taste
of Yiddish (1970) 306 Just read, enjoy, absorb! 1985 L. SANDERS
Fourth Deadly Sin v. 41 ‘Spend money’, he said. ‘Enjoy.’ 1998 30 All
Time Great Recipes (BBC Good Food) Autumn 1/1 We hope that in this
selection, you will rediscover some old friends--and make some new
ones as well. Enjoy!