Bargaining Chip (1941); Trick or Treat (1934)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 19 20:01:38 UTC 2006

A re-check on "bargaining chip" and "trick or treat."
BARGAINING CHIP
27 November 1941, San Mateo (CA) Times, pg. 1, col. 1:
[News Behind The News by Ray Tucker]
Washington, it is pointed out, must overcome expected British opposition to
this pooling arrangement while we have these "bargaining chips" in our  hands.:

TRICK OR TREAT
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-treat_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick-or-treat)

"Halloween Pranks Keep Police on Hop," _Oregon Journal_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Journal)  (_Portland, Oregon_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_Oregon) ),  November 1, 1934:

Other young goblins and ghosts, employing modern shakedown methods,
successfully worked the "trick or treat" system in all parts of the city.

(ADS-L MESSAGE)
trick or treat (OED 1947)

1934 _Helena Daily Independent_  (Newspaperarchive.com) 2 Nov. 4  Pretty
Boy John Doe rang the door bells  and his gang awaited his signal.  It was
his plan to proceed cautiously  at first and give a citizen every
opportunity to comply with his demands  before pulling any rough stuff.
"Madam, we are here for the usual purpose,  'trick or treat.'"  This is the
old demand of the little people who go  out to have some innocent fun.
Many women have some apples, cookies or  doughnuts for them, but they call
rather early and the "treat" is given out  gladly.

Fred Shapiro