"Obsolete," but still in use

Thu Sep 21 15:52:12 UTC 2006

Lawrence Horn queried:

> Would this be just at the firm, or among the family retainers among the
> "downstairs" staff as well?  This usage seems very Forsyte
> Saga/Upstairs, Downstairs to me.

So far as I can recall, no member of the family had any servants, other
than the occasional charwoman. My guess would be that since each member
had his own home, the necessity of distinguishing the individual Messrs
Bulmer didn't arise in that context as it did in the office (and in case
anyone thinks I'm being sexist, no female member of the family was then
involved with the business). The usage certainly seemed old-fashioned to
me at the time, even mildly risible, but it was strange how quickly it
became second nature to refer to "Mr Bertram" and no longer surprised at
older members of the staff touching their foreheads to him in salutation.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words
E-mail: wordseditor at worldwidewords.org