"write," n. = "something intended to be read; a writing."

Sat Sep 23 07:29:10 UTC 2006

On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Jon Lighter wrote:

Modern usage
> (cited from 1958, app. in Britain), applies it to the thing read:
> "That's a good/bad/etc. read."

Isn't really ambiguous between the thing read and the act of reading? That is, one can be asserting that the written work will be good to read or that the act of reading it itself will be pleasurable. I can think of clarifying examples, but they are so obscene or scatalogical that I hesitate to offer them here.