"Obsolete," but still in use

Alainna Wrigley alainna at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 23 12:35:45 UTC 2006

On 9/22/06, Clai Rice <cxr1086 at louisiana.edu> wrote:
> My students
> agree that Mr. or Miss. with the first name is normal and respectful
> usage, and most think that both uses are peculiarly Cajun.

I'm inclined to agree with your students. My grandmother, hailing from
Vacherie, LA, would be turning in casket to hear me address someone
outside our family (or a close friend) without "Miss" or "Mr.", though
I'd be hesistant to refer to most priests as "Fr. X" (I'm simply too
young). My friends in New Orleans think this usage overly formal and
"country."

On 9/22/06, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> OTOH, she occasionally would say things like, "I really like that, me." Until I
> heard her use formations like this, I had assumed that only white
> Louisiana Cajuns used such locutions in English.

Goodness, no! There's a huge crossover. (Me, I tend to place it in the
beginning though.)

Alainna