Tenny runners...

Sat Sep 23 17:13:20 UTC 2006

And mine--my mother (b. 1904, NYC) too.  I'd forgotten it.  Elastic band was
also used.

Paul Johnston
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Lighter" <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: Tenny runners...

header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Tenny runners...
-----

> My grandparents too. I'd completely forgotten "elastics," though I'm sure
I used to use it myself on occasion.

>   JL
>
> Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail
header -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Wilson Gray
> Subject: Re: Tenny runners...
-----

> As usual, Charlie, you've resurrected for me a bit of lexicon that I'd
> lost. Overshoes! Whoa, does that bring back memories! BTW, my
> grandparents referred to rubber bands as "elastics." Does that ring a
> bell with you?
>
> -Wilson
>
> On 9/22/06, Charles Doyle wrote:
> > ---------------------- Information from the mail
header -----------------------
> > Sender: American Dialect Society
> > Poster: Charles Doyle
> > Subject: Re: Tenny runners...

-----

> > When I was in (about) the fifth grade, the spelling textbook gave the
word "rubbers," with the illustrative sentence (something like) "John lent
Bill his rubbers." Many yucks from the pubescent philologues--though we did
divine that the reference was to what are properly (in East Texas) called
"overshoes."

> > --Charlie

all day, as some kids like me tried to do in class on rainy days