athletic shoes (and home furnishings)

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sat Sep 23 17:41:22 UTC 2006

Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

> most people i know don't seem to use the yellow pages at all any
> more.  no wonder.  especially when it's easy to surf for this
> information, and you can even compare prices.

Indeed. I just bought a new over-range (the official descriptor is "over
THE range", for reasons I don't understand) microwave oven. The two
local appliance stores I was familiar with have gone out of business,
and I was hoping to buy from such a shop rather than Home Depot.
However, the New Haven Yellow Pages has no major heading
Appliance-Dealers or some such; there's Appliance-Repair, though, but
most repair shops don't sell appliances. (I finally found some local
appliance stores through Google, and ended up buying from Home Depot
anyway.)

In regard to your other point, that I snipped, that the Yellow Pages are
primarily an advertising medium, and not a source of information for
consumers, well, if I can't figure out where to look for microwave oven
dealers, I'm not likely to see their advertisements.

Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203)
865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963