"Up in G" (1889)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 23 19:42:07 UTC 2006

Some website reader  (yes, there is one) just asked me about "Up in G" There
is an 1892 ad  in a Decatur (IL) newspaper that shows "Up in G" with the
musical scale. That's  surely the answer.

_http://gothamcenter.org/discussions/viewthread.cfm?ID=1784&ForumID=33_
(http://gothamcenter.org/discussions/viewthread.cfm?ID=1784&ForumID=33)
    kanron  up in G  •  posted 1/24/06 7:28:PM
The Sidewalks of New  York lyric contains the line "Some are up in 'G'"
What does that line refer to?
Thanks  6sj7  Jail  •  posted 1/25/06 8:18:AM
archaic slang for  Jail = GAOL   kanron  up in G  •  posted 1/25/06 9:37:AM
Thanks for the reply  about gaol...
My guess was it referred to being dead, and G was Greenwood Cemetery.  The
"up" being that 25th st. was uptown to a large % of New Yorkers when  the song
was written.
But "GAOL" makes a lot of sense too....  kanron  up in G  •  posted 1/25/06
10:58:AM
My second guess is  that G refers to Gramercy, and was the writer's way of
saying that some of  his old pals had risen in wealth and status (while some had
not, including  himself).....
up for Greenwood would have to be a celestial reference, rather than a
geographic one, since Greenwood is in Brooklyn.
Who knows?  satch  in  •  posted 4/23/06 9:14:PM
God's care
_http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0503a&L=ads-l&P=6718_
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0503a&L=ads-l&P=6718)