"... heat-sinking missile."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 24 06:16:39 UTC 2006

The writer wrote "heat-sinking." I assume that he meant to convey the
idea that his engorged penis was like unto a heat-_seeking_ missile
that would automatically seek out the heat of the labial labia
<thanks, Larry!> of the female exhiibitionist upon whose picture he
was commenting, were they ever to meet in real reality.

-Wilson

On 9/23/06, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "... heat-sinking missile."
>
> >  > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >>  Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> >>  Subject:      Re: "... heat-sinking missile."
> >>  --------------------------------------------------------------
> >>  -----------------
> >>
> >>  It's "heat-_sinking_ missile," y'all. It ain't nothing
> >>  interesting about a heat-_seeking_ missile.
> >
> >Or more properly, heat-synching?
>
> as in lip-synching?
> Reminds me:  has anyone else noticed the proliferation of references
> to a body part called the "labial lips"?  There are (supposedly)
> about 12,500 raw (as it were) google hits for "labial lips", most of
> which involve the relevant (redundant) sense, as opposed to that in
> e.g. "Alveolar (alveolar ridge). Palatal (hard palate). Labial
> (lips)."
>
> The AHD4 gloss for "labial" is 'of or relating to the lips or labia',
> which does confirm my sense that there is something a bit redundant
> about all those "labial lips" (= labial labia = labia), unless I'm
> missing something...
>
> LH

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens