"Goodfellas," the book and the movie

Mon Sep 25 21:48:15 UTC 2006

Just ran across this:

The Lingo of the Good-People
David W. Maurer
American Speech > Vol. 10, No. 1 (Feb., 1935), pp. 10-23

Which starts off:
"To the modern gangster an old-timer is good-people. . . .Even as the
countless generations of criminals who preceded them, the good-people
had their argot.  Around 1900 when the present-day elderly good-people
were criminal Dapper Dans, their lingo was the last word in linguistic
nobbiness."