doughnut hole (gap in Medicare drug coverage)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Sep 28 14:29:25 UTC 2006

I don't know how old or how widely applied it is, but there's another use of "doughnut" that I've been noticing for the past several years:  Demographers, election analysts, et al. refer to the band of suburbs and small cities (largely white, affluent, and politically rightish) circling metropolitan Atlanta as "the doughnut."  The radius of the "hole" is perhaps 8 or 10 miles, of the doughnut itself maybe 30 or 40 miles.

Where would our langauge and our culture be without doughnuts!

--Charlie