"It isn't nice to fool Mother Nature!"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 28 20:03:05 UTC 2006

FWIW, I agree with arnold's memory. But was it as late as 1970 that it
began? Just asking. I don't have any memory of when this ad campaign
began, just a vague feeling that it may have started earlier. And this
feeling may be only a reflection of the ad's erstwhile ubiquity.

-Wilson

On 9/28/06, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "It isn't nice to fool Mother Nature!"
>
> On Sep 28, 2006, at 7:23 AM, Jon Lighter wrote:
>
> > Today's fogies will instantly recognize this line from a memorable
> > margarine commercial of about 1970.  It seems to have become a
> > semihumorous proverb with
> >   several dozen raw Googlits and about a half dozen exx. in Google
> > Books.
>
> i think that was "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature".  12,700 raw
> google webhits for that version, only 24 for "It isn't nice..."
>
> arnold

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens