when "intercourse" got funny

Seán Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Fri Sep 29 04:41:18 UTC 2006

Back in the '70s a friend who grew up in rural Pennsylvania near
Pennsylvania-Dutch country told me the joke about being able to drive
through Intercourse on the way to Paradise.  I pulled out my one bit of PA
geographical knowledge to add that if one took a wrong turn he would end up
in Blue Ball.  I think the joke was rather old at the time.

A few years earlier I wrote in the specs for a custom museum exhibit stand
that it would include "a flat base plate with a centrally placed erect
member".   The review committee sent me their kudos.   I didn't hear the
"---k" = "intercourse" joke till much later, but people's minds were
definitely in the gutter in the '70s.

Seán Fitzpatrick
No oil for pacifists!
http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/