when "intercourse" got funny and where the pale is

Leslie Savan lsavan at VERIZON.NET
Fri Sep 29 20:34:28 UTC 2006

> In a message dated 9/29/06 11:55:06 AM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:
>

> > I'm not sure "social intercourse" is beyond the pale even now.=A0 I
> > just noticed it in a Ruth Rendell detective novel from a few years
> > ago
> >=20

I agree--"social intercourse" is not beyond the pale now. One reason may be
that the word "interaction" has filled the gap left by "intercourse" going
giggly. More than filled the gap, the huge popularity of "interaction" (and
interact this and interactive that) may pave the way for the return of an
unironic "intercourse." Some of "interaction"'s clinical, digital quality
may start to rub off on (or interact with) "intercourse." Especially, I'm
guessing, with young people and teenagers for whom the infrequently used
"intercourse" may just sound more fusty than funny. And maybe when
"interaction" itself starts to get old, its meaning will get freshened up
with the occasional substitution of a newly retro "intercourse." All
speculation, of course.