Wal-Mart's "Persians" (Pershings?) (1928), Bismarks, and Long Johns

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 30 02:41:18 UTC 2006

Greetings from Texas, after a day of Wal-Mart shopping for things like a
garden hose, broom, Bounty towels, and such.
The Wal-Mart in nearby Buda has a bakery section that offers such  things as
Persians, Bismarks, and Long Johns. Persians?
After doing a Google search, I found that "Log in to unmask" over at the
American Dialect Society website (no way I'll ever get credit for my own  work)
did some work on Bismarks/Bismarcks and Pershings.
Is "Persians" merely an error for "Pershings"?
The "Persian Roll" appears to date back to at least a Washington Post
article from 1928.
_http://fillyjonk.blogspot.com/2006/09/working-away-on-figur
es-for-paper-that.html_
(http://fillyjonk.blogspot.com/2006/09/working-away-on-figures-for-paper-that.html)
I also saw something at Mart of Wal this morning. And I preface this with
the observation that I know I'm being nitpicky and old-fashioned and all  that.

I did something I rarely do: I bought a donut. They have those big
self-serve donut cases, you know? With the names of all the donuts on little  signs?

Well, they had a shelf of "Bismarcks" (filled raised donuts. I  knew them as
filled with currant jelly but it seems a custard filling is more  typical. And
the currant-jelly ones may actually be Berliners.). These donuts  are named,
yes, for the German Chancellor.

But they also had a shelf of  "Iced Persians." A sort of donut/cinnamon roll
hybrid.

No, no, no, no.  They are not "Persians." They are "Pershings." My
understanding is that they  were named that during WWI, after General Pershing. You
know: Bismarcks  (Germany) and Pershings (America). Kind of an early version of
Freedom Fries. Or  similar to "Liberty Kraut" which is what sauerkraut was
renamed in  WWI.

(And yeah, I know that Bismarck was not involved in WWI; he was dead  by that
time.)
(WORDORIGINS.ORG)
_American Dialects 101 - www.ezboard.com_
(http://p211.ezboard.com/fwordoriginsorgfrm9.showMessage?topicID=65.topic)      In Seattle there were " pershings
" ; in  Boston " bismarks " . " Crullers " , as you mention , seems to have
a diff meaning on the two coasts . ...
p211.ezboard.com/fwordoriginsorgfrm9.p211.ezboard.com/fwordoriginsorgfrm9.<WBR
>showMessage?topicID=65.to_Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:gs5CXYcSisMJ:p211.ezboard.com/fwordoriginsorgfrm9.showMessage?topicID=65.topic+persh
ings+and+bismarks&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=8&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&pwst=1&q=related:p211.ezboard.com/f
wordoriginsorgfrm9.showMessage?topicID=65.topic)
(GOOGLE)
_Paielli's  Bakery - Sweets_ (http://www.paiellisbakery.com/sweets.htm)
Custard Filled , Chocolate Frosted Long Johns.  Granulated Sugar Coated ,
Jelly Filled Bismarks. Cinnamon  Persians - Glazed. Cinnamon Persians - Frosted
www.paiellisbakery.com/sweets.htm - 45k  - Supplemental Result - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:C6iu9oAm6qoJ:www.paiellisbakery.com/sweets.ht
m+persians+bismarks&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=8&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.paiellisbakery.com/
sweets.htm)
_CalorieKing - Calorie Counter - Donuts - Donuts_
(http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-donuts_c-Y2lkPTYwJnBhcj0.html)      Glazers · Jelly
Bismarks · Jumbo Cake ·  Persians · Plain Long Johns · Regular · Triple Chocolate
Bismark.  Donuts: Lance. Powdered Sugar Gem ...
www.calorieking.com/foods/www.calorieking.com/foods/<WBR>calories-in-donuts_c-
Y2lkPT_Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:eA-PStAyh9UJ:www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-donuts_c-Y2lkPTYwJnBhcj0.html+persians+bismarks&hl=en
&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-donuts_c-Y
2lkPTYwJnBhcj0.html)
_Crawfords Bakery - BAKERY Brochure_
(http://www.crawfordsbakery.com/brochures/bakery.html)      Persians, Filled Bismarks and Long  Johns, Assorted
Breakfast Bagels Assorted Danish, Scones, Turnovers,  Assorted Muffins. Sweet Treats
www.crawfordsbakery.com/brochures/bakery.html - 14k -  _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:oxt5d5JMUgUJ:www.crawfordsbakery.com/brochures/bakery.h
tml+persians+bismarks&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.crawfordsbakery.c
om/brochures/bakery.html)
_Maplehurst Product 1 Data Sheet_
(http://www.maplehurstbakeries.com/prod01.htm)
[Bullet] Frozen Dough - Yeast Rings, Persians,  Bars, Bismarks and many
others: [Bullet] Prefried Donuts - Yeast  Rings, Fritters, Persians and Bars:
[Bullet] ...
www.maplehurstbakeries.com/prod01.htm - 3k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:RLfewM7b79MJ:www.maplehurstbakeries.com/prod01.htm+persians+bisma
rks&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.maplehurstbakeries.com/prod01.htm)
<NO
_Baker Boy Website_ (http://www.bakerboy.com/products/donuts.htm)
Bismarcks, 1.6 oz. 240. 15211. Long  Johns, 1.6 oz. 240. 15213. Jumbo Long Johns,
2.5 oz ...  Persians (Fried Cinnamon). 1.5 oz. 96. 25411. Apple Fritters  ...
www.bakerboy.com/products/donuts.htm - 44k -  Supplemental Result - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:nqfb3koPT94J:www.bakerboy.com/products/don
uts.htm+persians+bismarcks&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=28&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar
pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.bakerboy.com/products/donuts.htm)
(ADS-L POST, March 19, 2000)
_http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0003c&L=ads-l&P=7819_
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0003c&L=ads-l&P=7819)
LONG JOHNS--DARE has "An oblong pastry, usu. with a  cream or jelly filling
and often frosted or glazed," from 1945.   "Long Johns" is on page 423 under
"doughnuts" in A TREATISE ON BAKING  (1948) by Julius E. Wihlfahrt (He's a
cook and that's his name!   What can I do?--ed.), published by Fleischmann
Division of Standard  Brands.  "Bismarks" and "Pershings" are on the  same
page.

BISMARCK--DARE has 1930s for "an oblong cake, cooked  in deep fat" and 1950
for "a deep-fried cake with a filling, usu. of  jelly."  CAKES FOR BAKERS
(Chicago, third edition 1926) by Paul  Richards has "Bismarcks" on page  223.

(ADS-L POST, June 28, 2002)
_http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0206d&L=ads-l&P=16642_
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0206d&L=ads-l&P=16642)
PERSHINGS, BISMARKS--Found in the bakery department of the huge Fred Meyer
superstore.  DARE for Pershing?
(PROQUEST)
_Handy  Hints To Help the Homemaker; Recipes for Dinner Menu of Broiled Meat
Cakes,  Hashed Browned Potatoes and Dressing for Chopped Cabbage. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=5&did=225317462&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&
VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1159582526&clientId=65882)
By LOUISE BENNETT WEAVER.. The Washington  Post (1877-1954). Washington,
D.C.: Oct 9, 1928. p. 11 (1 page)
_Persian Roll._
1 package orange-flavored prepared gelatin.
1 2-3 cups boiling water.
1 teaspoon vanilla.
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract.
1/4 teaspoon salt.
1 cup stiffly whipped cream.
1 cup chopped dates.
1/2 cup nuts, broken.
6 macaroons broken in small pieces.
Pour the boiling water over the gelatin mixtures and stir until it has
thoroughly dissolved. Add the vanilla, lemon extract and salt. Cool and chill
until a little thick. Beat until frothy and beat in all the rest of the
ingredients. Pour into a glass mold (glass bread dish suggested), which has been
rinsed out of cold water. Set in a cold place to stiffen. Unmold and cover with
whipped cream. Place nut meats and red cherries on the top. Serve roll cut in
1/2-inch slices.goo
_Display  Ad 19 -- No Title_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=5&did=446339022&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1159582
388&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current  File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Apr 7, 1960. p.
22 (1 page)
GRAND OPENING!
Casa de Donuts
This Week at
GRAND CENTRAL
DONUTS -- the best you've ever eaten! Made fresh hourly! They're Delicious!
Watch them made. You'll love 'em. 20 Varieties! Fancy cake donuts, Long Johns,
 French, Glazed, Buttermilk Bars, Bismarcks, Persian Rolls, Cinnamon and many
 more.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
                 _Evening Tribune, The_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=qfOSkbCfQu2KID/6NLMW2nncqtMlNy/YGh5QSne6mjJmlpaJ8bcVoEIF+CsZYmrz)
_Wednesday, May 28, 1930_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="persian+rolls"+AND+date:1930-05-28)  _Albert Lea,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="persian+rolls"+AND+cityid:252+AND+stateid:56+AND+ra
nge:1759-1940)  _Minnesota_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="persian+rolls"+AND+stateid:56+AND+range:1759-1940)   PERSIAN ROLLS, per
doz. JELLY ROLLS,  each COOKIES, per dor. CREAM SLICES, per
                 _Kansas City Star, The_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=qfOSkbCfQu2KID/6NLMW2vVnChk0MpPicOA2I8zFs5X0CNWeb59F50IF+CsZYmrz)
 _Sunday, June 20, 1937_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="persian+roll"+AND+date:1937-06-20)  _Kansas,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="persian+roll"+AND+cityid:14511+AND+stateid:58+AND+range:1
759-1940)  _Missouri_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="persian+roll"+AND+stateid:58+AND+range:1759-1940)   Berkshire  Beuuly Shop
"PERSIAN ROLL" An exotic InlcrprrtBllon of  the popular ROLL