purple drank, lean

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 30 06:40:13 UTC 2006

What cracks me up is the large number of members of the print media
who believe that "[w]ho[re]" is actally "hoe," judging by the fact
that many columnists and op-ed journalists make serious references to
"calling women gardening implements," et sim.

-Wilson

On 9/29/06, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: purple drank, lean
>
> Within the dialect, then, the representation becomes "eye dialect."
>
> And let's not forget the wildly current "ho"--sometimes represented with an initial (phonologically meaningless) apostrophe but seldom a final one.
>
> --Charlie

Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
-----
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is knows how deep
a debt of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our
race. He brought death into the world.

--Sam Clemens