[ADS-L] saying "ah" for "awe"

Sat Sep 30 16:38:39 UTC 2006

Linguists call this "cot/caught" merger. It has been going on a long time. It
depends, though, on what "neck of the woods one is in." Mergers are a normal
part of human linguistic change. Note that "knot" and "not" used to be
pronounced the same way, but nobody pronounces the "k" any more. Likewise "which" and
"witch" for most people, and "pin" and "pen" for many people.

Most linguists will see a problem with your our statement that certain words
"initially were meant to be spoken differently": "meant" by whom or what? But
it is certainly true that many words were "initially spoken differently" by
many speakers and are now pronounced the same.

These mergers rarely create a communication problem, and since the process
seems to be inevitable, it probably is not anything to worry about. As a
scientific phenomenon, however, merger is certainly interesting, and social and reg
ional dialectologists are constantly monitoring the situation.

There is a lot of information available online concering social and regional
variation in American English, and if you do a bit of search-engine hunting,
you can find a lot of information about all of these phenomena.